Our History

Volunteer

The impact begins...

United Way traces its roots back to 1887 in Denver, Colorado.  A woman, a priest, two ministers, and a rabbi united together to address the pressing welfare problems in the city, recognizing that collaborative efforts would make a bigger impact than independent programs. 

 

That year, Frances Wisebart Jacobs, Monsignor William J. O’Ryan, Reverend Myron Reed, Dean H. Martyn Hart, and Rabbi William Friedman formed an organization to collect funds for local charities, coordinate relief services, counsel and refer clients to cooperating agencies, and make emergency assistance grants for cases that could not be referred.  The first united campaign benefitted area health and welfare agencies and raised $21,700 for the greater good.  In doing so, the group of five concerned citizens started a movement that would come to be known as United Way.

 

On June 3, 1983, the United Way of Charles County was officially incorporated in the State of Maryland as a non-profit corporation.  From our location at 10250 La Plata Road in La Plata, Maryland we operate an organization that is involved in many facets of health and human service to the people of Charles County. By serving as the landlord to other non-profit organizations, we are partnering with them to help utilize more of their donations for programs instead of overhead costs. We offer them not only office space but also the ability to hold meetings and other events at the house at no cost to them.

 

The staff and Board Members of the United Way of Charles County are actively involved in organizations in this community that are working on community issues such as shelter and hunger, mental health, information and referral, volunteer activities, children and youth, etc. This involvement keeps the staff and the Board apprised of the issues facing Charles County.